Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Which would you rather have?


That, or this?

Dear Les,

3 AM, Wed. 9-16-11

Cannot sleep.

Just played

The last cut on Side B

Of an old cassette tape

For Dee who was coming to bed

After a late session of cookie baking

For your nephew Lee……

Yesterday

I’d found these handful of tapes

In a drawer

Fortuitously

Having saved them in the move

Last year

And this one

Pictured above

(both sides B and A)

Contained along with

The Dukes of Dixieland

Two cuts of the Natural Gas

Jazz Band;

One of ‘Forever’

And the other of

‘Lover’

The latter – Lover –

Is a long number by

The trombonist

Playing the most amazing

Rendition

Of this song

Most notably performed

By Les Paul and Mary Ford

on their guitars

And it is a blessing

For me

That I’ve found this tape.

On the other side, side A,

Are some numbers I multiply

Recorded on ‘two inexpensive

Japanese tape recorders’.

This half of the cassette

I modestly titled

THE WORLD’S

GREATEST MUSIC.

On it, I recorded

Some versions of

Ja-da,

Cecelia,

I Love You,

Etc.

And a reading of

The Owl and the Pussycat…..

The songs are performed

On slide whistle,

Ukelele,

Kazoo,

A child’s toy piano,

And the vocals

Are done

By me.

This valuable tape

Was recorded

In 1983.

I am going to try to get

David Jr. to take that cassette

And make a CD of it

Which I will give

You a copy of.

Others will have to

Pay me good money for,

Although I know I

Advertise this little

Diary effort of mine

As “Money Cannot Buy”.

I remember:

I came home late one night

After some libationary action

And was loose enough

To be in top form.

Those few I made cassette copies

For

Treasure the tape, they say.

John and Cindy Helt, for two.

BUT THE CUT I WANT YOU TO HAVE

ABOVE ALL THE REST

IS THE NATURAL GAS’S

LOVER

With the trombone solo.

All the rest is

Fluff.

Or fluffier.