Thursday, December 1, 2011

Some are dead, and some are living*

Pictured above
JOHN TYSON AND WIS GUTHRIE
circa 1970

John was an art professor at Carroll College
Wis was the chair of the department
Our mutual friendship was deep
and covered many events
some good, some bad.

John died at age 52 circa 1982
On the day he died
he waved at me as I drove
east on Arcadian near the root beet stand.

John was going into the Blackstone Bldg
and it was to be my last sighting of
a bosom friend.
He died later in the day
pounding in some real estate
stakes for his girlfriend, Gudron,
a serious consort.

John and I in our thick catalog
of similar interests enjoyed the
music of the blind guitarist/singer
Jose Feliciano.

I still treasure the33 rpm
Feliciano recordings now committed
to internal computer memory.

*Here's one song,
IN MY LIFE
from the records we nearly wore out:


All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more (lyric by Jose)


....................

Dee informs me
there are some Congregational Church
Holiday Sampler booklets found
on the church premises
that will be put out on the harvest table
for people to pick up and enjoy -
maybe leave a small contribution -
or to just take.

The names of the recipe givers are noteworthy.
'Some are dead
and some are living.......'







Included are recipes from Kathy Danielson, Cathy DeGroot, Beth Yahr, Bonnie Camp, Bev Bradford, Cleo Glasenapp, Jean Zellmer, Joyce Barron, Sue Orlebeke, Lucy Haylett, Ruth Hale, Peggy Butt, Jeanne Zellmer, Judy Clements, Florence Roberts, Kathy Bruning, Susanne Carman, Shelly Schwingle, Betty Charmak, Ann Miller, Mary Estenik, Helen Curley, Steve Hale, Marge Bassuener, Priscilla Circle, Ina Guthrie, Sandi Custer, Mitzi Keadle, Dorothy Bettinger, Alice Waschow, Dawn Weideman, Jean Schauer, and Leigh Wellford.