Sunday, May 15, 2011

The troubled church of his mind

THE SNAG

The only time I found myself at all interested

in the concept of a time machine

was when I first heard that baldness in a man

was traceable to his maternal grandfather.

I pictured myself stepping into the odd craft

with a vial of poison tucked into a pocket

and just in case, a newly sharpened kitchen knife.

Of course I had not thought this through very carefully

but even after I realized the drawback

of eradicating my own existence

not to mention the possible existence of my mother,

I came up with a better reason to travel back in time.

I pictured myself now setting the coordinates

for late 19th century County Waterford, where,

after I had hidden the machine behind a hedge

and located himself, the man I never knew,

we would enjoy several whiskeys and some talk

about the hard times and my strange-looking clothes

after which, with his permission of course

I would climb onto his lap

and rest my hand on the slope of his head

that dome which covered the troubled church of his mind

And was often covered in turn

by the dusty black hat he had earlier hung from a peg

in the wall.

(another by Billy Collins)