Saturday, July 27, 2013

She looks like she's asleep; Another instance; Secret garden; Morning swim; Cages, circumscription (non-sic); Tomatoes from Amelapay


"She looks like she's asleep
it's a shame that she won't keep
but it's summer
and we're runnin' outta ice....."

(OKLAHOMA, Rogers and Hammerstein)

.............

There KD was, on top of the china cabinet
and me with no camera.
Wait a minute, the cell is in my pocket!
Whipping it out I take this picture above,
knowing she surely would not hold that pose
while I ran upstairs to get the better camera.


Fetching the good camera
and sure enough,
she moved.

..............

Another instance of only having the cell phone camera in my pocket
occurred last Sunday, when I arrived in the Peanut Gallery
- my preferred seating area -
to find a puzzling scaffold set up near the pulpit.
Asking another early arriver what was going on,
Christian Ed speculated that he'd heard Rev. Brittany
was going to deliver herself of an especially profound sermon
and that maybe she was going to address us from on high.


Or no,
maybe I said that to Christian Ed.......

..........
NOT
an example of a 'secret' garden
but perhaps a lunch-break site 
in back of a downtown building
affords us a quiz, raccoon-related.

Guess where this is.
If there were a wall in the foreground
which there isn't
it might be a real secret;

Passers-by find it in plain sight
but the feeling of seclusion
is present anyway.

Downtown occupants
- habitues -
are often good at making use
of available nooks and 
crannies.

(Hint:  this site is found very near a main gathering place
- albeit subterranean -
of the sewer raccoons of Waukesha.)

...............

Morning Swim



Into my empty head there comes
a cotton beach, a dock wherefrom

I set out, oily and nude
through mist, in chilly solitude.

There was no line, no roof or floor
to tell the water from the air.

Night fog thick as terry cloth
closed me in its fuzzy growth.

I hung my bathrobe on two pegs.
I took the lake between my legs.

Invaded and invader, I
went overhand on that flat sky.

Fish twitched beneath me, quick and tame.
In their green zone they sang my name

and in the rhythm of the swim
I hummed a two-four-time slow hymn.

I hummed "Abide With Me." The beat
rose in the fine thrash of my feet,

rose in the bubbles I put out
slantwise, trailing through my mouth.

My bones drank water; water fell
through all my doors. I was the well

that fed the lake that met my sea
in which I sang "Abide With Me."


"Morning Swim" by Maxine Kumin, from Selected Poems 1960-1990. © Norton, 1990. 

..............


BRUCE COCKBURN
Canadian songwriter and singer

first introduced to me by daughter Laurie Kari
of Wasilla Alaska

Pacing the cage

Sunset is an angel weeping
Holding out a bloody sword
No matter how I squint I cannot
Make out what it's pointing toward
Sometimes you feel like you live too long
Days drip slowly on the page
You catch yourself
Pacing the cage
I've proven who I am so many times
The magnetic strip's worn thin
And each time I was someone else
And every one was taken in
Hours chatter in high places
Stir up eddies in the dust of rage
Set me to pacing the cage
I never knew what you all wanted
So I gave you everything
All that I could pillage
All the spells that I could sing
It's as if the thing were written
In the constitution of the age
Sooner or later you'll wind up
Pacing the cage
Sometimes the best map will not guide you
You can't see what's round the bend
Sometimes the road leads through dark places
Sometimes the darkness is your friend
Today these eyes scan bleached-out land
For the coming of the outbound stage.
Pacing the cage.
Pacing the cage.




Pour Tom et Moineau

.....................


This week we got a load of tomatoes
from Pam who used to be a waitress
across the street at Dave's (Jose's) Cafe.
This one was an heirloom tomato -
not much to look at
but delicious to eat.