Friday, February 24, 2017

Wicked secrets; Kukla Fran and Ollie; Putin it there; The bell stand; Norb Blei's FROG; Dixian diction; Gertie and the dollar bill; Emerson studies voting; Multi-tasker


VIII - from "Twelve Songs"
by W. H. Auden

Listen Online


At last the secret is out, as it always must come in the end,
The delicious story is ripe to tell to the intimate friend;
Over the tea-cups and in the square the tongue has its desire;
Still waters run deep, my dear, there’s never smoke without fire.
Behind the corpse in the reservoir, behind the ghost on the links,
Behind the lady who dances and the man who madly drinks,
Under the look of fatigue, the attack of migraine and the sigh
There is always another story, there is more than meets the eye.
For the clear voice suddenly singing, high up in the convent wall,
The scent of the elder bushes, the sporting prints in the hall,
The croquet matches in summer, the handshake, the cough, the kiss,
There is always a wicked secret, a private reason for this.

VIII - from "Twelve Songs" by W. H. Auden from Collected Poems.


^,^


Kukla, Fran and Ollie








Great TV from before most of the SRN readers were born.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEzwaIYN2ZA


^,^













Putin it there!

^,^

The bell stand

Lu said to the master carver:
“What is your secret?”

Khling replied: “I am only a workman:
I have no secret. There Khing, the master carver, made a bell stand
Of precious wood. When it was finished,
All who saw it were astounded. They said it must be
The work of spirits.
The secret is only this:
When I began to think about the work you commanded
I guarded my spirit, did not expend it
On trifles, that were not to the point.
I fasted in order to set
My heart at rest.
After three days fasting, I had forgotten gain and success.
After five days
I had forgotten criticism.
After seven days
I had forgotten my body
With all its limbs.

“By this time all thought of your Highness
And of the court had faded away.
All that might distract me from the work
Had vanished.
I was collected in the single thought
Of the bell stand.

“Then I went to the forest
To see the trees in their own natural state.
When the right tree appeared before my eyes,
The bell stand also appeared in it, clearly, beyond doubt.
All I had to do was to put forth my hand
And begin.

“If I had not met this particular tree
There would have been
No bellstand at all.

“What happened?
My own collected thought
Encountered the hidden potential in the wood;
From this live encounter came the work

Which you ascribe to the spirits.

Forwarded to the Raccoon by John Helt



^,^

FROG
A Norb Blei Basho's Road memory


https://bashosroad.outlawpoetry.com/norbert-blei-variations-on-bashos-frog/allen-ginsberg/haiku/



















Painting by Lucha of Arcadia, Ellison Bay WI


^,^

Correspondence
Dixian diction
Some family history 







































^,^













































continued left above
























































^,^


Email from 206 Albany CA
re:  our story of Gertie and the dollar bill



Dear 202,

In the Prologue of his Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind Roshi Suzuki writies:  “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few.” Gertie’s gleeful discovery of the dollar you or I placed in the coin return raises the question:  there in that restaurant in whose mind were the possibilities the greatest? 

On the road,

206





^,^


Emerson Helt leaves the polls 
with Grandpa





















^,^



Man plays two trombones
and two horns at once
with hands and feet


















play link:



http://www.wimp.com
/brass-band-multitasker/

Sent by Laurie Dix Kari, Wasilla AK