Saturday, December 30, 2017

Have a sweet memoried New Year




A RIME




When I was young

a very long time ago

to see my grandparents in Cedar Falls

I would sometimes go


and it was great

and it was jolly

but gramps axed chickens

he did; was no folly


He wore shaded visors and sleeve protectors

over his neck-tied shirtery

he once shot a bank rat

when as a teller felt murdery


Bonnie and Floyd robb-ed naught

Ames Iowa's little loanery

a bank with a screen door

and Ray wasn't squattery


"Watch out for that Ray

and his Dixian bravery!" said

awed street-dusted citizens

who checked at that door their worst knavery



and Ray's good wife Myrtle

served me oatmeal for breakfast

with a Shirley Temple pitcher

of 1930s cobalt blue

vesselry


It did no good to try

getting past of me

I wanted just that

no other dawn fare would do for me


And so years went by

me visiting e'r so happily

smiling Shirley focused all

for me in her in blue lapis lazuli


By and by Grandma died

but she left S. Temple, to me

and Ray left his margin-written flag

guarded, for me


I did lose the pitcher

I did lose the flag


But I just Yule-time ordered 

a faded Shirley Temple pitcher



It's here; 

and, for me


[DzD]

2017



^,^