Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flag Day and have some limburger cheese

Flag Day recalls a time in 1942 when servicemen Leslie and Leland Dix, my dad and uncle, were home on leave from 'The War' and we were gathered at the kitchen table in Waukesha, having what they called stinky cheese. Those closest relatives were noted for their fearlessness in bringing the farthest out (some thought) cheeses to theip lips.

Dad, Uncle Lee, Mom and Aunt Frances were having one of their ribald times together, and I watched with wide eyes and semi-unpinched nostrils while they comsumed vast quantities of a brick of limburger cheese - they told me what it was, for I was only 6 - and bottles of frosty Schlitz beer.

I was admonished to try some of the limburger. I dared not, but they persisted. "Come on, David Lee, you're a Dix. You have to have some!"

I eventually opened my lips to my mother's insistent presentation, and I was almost instantly wed to limburger cheese.

On Flag Day, or any day, I will gladly purchase as I did this morning a brick of the only limburger said to still being made in the US: Country Castle Limburger, Monroe, WI.

I had two thick sandwiches of limburger on rye today, this Flag Day, in honor of my deceased loved ones. Just the right expiration date on the wrapper found the contents ripened to the taste of a true limburger eater.

YOW-SIR! Here's to those who fought to keep us free to do all manner of things.

(Limburger cheese is also addressed in a previous SRN post: http://raccoonnews.blogspot.com/2008/02/keep-in-tightly-sealed-jar-refrigerated.html





No comments: