Thursday, September 10, 2009

What is it?

Scroll down...........................

A whistling tea kettle, of course:





Working further on cleaning out the basement, a seemingly endless task because I'd given up on it or taken so many long breaks........
.....today I ran into an experimental tea kettle that was made in our former VULCAN WEATHERVANES manufactory. In the garage, to wit. The rustic kettle worked fine and probably still does. Except,.......I got married, and my new wife, (third and final), though willing to put up with many things, thought we should have a more 'sightly' tea kettle. So we upgraded to a more conventional and pleasanter (?) model. This one went to the basement, where it's been for several years. At least 25.
I would put it out for sale at a rummage, but maybe I shouldn't. Something like this is priceless. Sticking a price tag for a quarter on it would be profoundly wrong. The spout is made from an old cake pan and is fitted to a standard across-the-counter kettle. But the whistle is real metal that took the braze. If you think it's dusty now, you should have seen it before I wiped it off.