Saturday, September 14, 2013

Bob's Greyhound; Meaning of life; Mr. R.(huta) Bagy; Son Lee drums; Suffering; Bear these arms; Pussycat and owl revisited


Bob's Greyhound
an Email exchange with my old friend

.......

From Bob:

She is about 60 pounds, almost two years old and VERY strong.  So far she lets us do anything we want to her and has had no strong reaction other than planting  her feet.  She did chew through a leash that was hanging on a door knob yesterday when left alone for over four hours.  But basically she has been good.

And it is fun to have a hound around again.

Bob Heeschen




From: ddix1@wi.rr.com
To: rdheeschen@msn.com

Subject: FW: The dog
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:04:23 -0500

Roberto:

Wow
The first pic he looks huge!
The second, well, I see folks going A-w-w-w-w-w-w in such instances.

Congratulations on providing a home for an animal I think is bred mainly for man’s entertainment, wagering……a breed that you know is companionable to beat the band, not necessarily in races.

I hope I sent you the owl-cat thing earlier today.  It went out to several……Let me know if not rec’d.

D. Septix



From: ROBERT A HEESCHEN [mailto:rdheeschen@msn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:03 AM
Subject: The dog

My new Greyhound, as of last night.  She will be two years old on Halloween.

Bob Heeschen  

an old newsclip:


.......


.......


I am Mr. Rhuta Bagy
but you must call me SIR
 I ask: please do

as I am in no position to make demands
at this late stage
in the gardening game

I was picked on Lois Lane
in the watery town of Waukesha
and brought to Bible Study city

by a gardener named Mr. Short
who gardened me with a rootem
and a way

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XddYTKodbe8&list=FLo1DNesh2LdkGq9-42DbLWw&index=7
(+ see Lee Dix drums, below:  for us this goes with)

cont'd

Grew my brains out, he did,
then plucked me, yay
while I was short, like him

I rode to the city in a bag
to be divvied up by biblical scholars
who would know what to do with me

Would know the right thing
once my identity was known
- what is that thing? -

I am not your usual rhutabagy
or rhutabaga
and I hope to take my place in a pasty.

Jumpeth not to any wrongheadedness there
we are talking miner's baked goods
like they used to sell in Iron Mt. MI




 Be sure to put some of these in



.......

Son Lee
drums in a rented studio
in New York City
keeps up his art
while teaching in a Harlem elementary
school.

Video was just on Facebook.
It reminds of the hand, wrist and arm motions 
of the great Gene Krupa, drummer/dancer:




video rec'd 9-13



(A screen grab photo.)


Watch me drum. 2 cameras, 1 take. — at The Sweatshop.

click on 'shuffle drumming'
Take it, Gene!
and
and
.......


From The New York Times Op-Ed section 9-8-13

"Nara, Japan: Hundreds of Syrians are apparently killed by chemical weapons, 
and the attempt to protect others from that fate threatens to kill many more.  A child
perishes with her mother in a tornado in Oklahoma, the month after an 8-year-old
is slain by a bomb in Boston.  Runaway trains claim dozens of lives in otherwise
placid Canada and Spain...........(read more: 
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/opinion/sunday/the-value-of-suffering.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)
.......
.......



.......


Looking on the Heart

A reflection by John Tamilio III
of last week's Daily Devotional, UCC
'God is Still Speaking'

But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." - 1 Samuel 16:7

At the gas station recently, a pickup truck pulled up next to me at the pumps. The man who emerged from the black Ford looked like a thrash-metal guitarist.  He was bald and covered with tattoos.  They climbed his arms and swarmed around his neck, face, and skull, which was also littered with piercings.  His leather clothes were grimy.  His hands were greasy and scarred.  He looked like an ominous villain from some horror movie.

He looked at me and said, "Hello," in a clear, articulate, tenor voice — and over the next five minutes we had an amazing conversation.  Out of what looked like an angry face came kind words and the sort of small talk you would expect to have with a frail grandmother while waiting at the checkout line.  Once we were both finished pumping gas, he said "nice to meet you" and "have a great day" before we parted.  As I got back into the car I felt gratitude and shame: gratitude for having met this man who made me all the richer; and shame over the prejudices that almost prevented me from having a conversation with him.

The phrase "never judge a book by its cover" came to mind, but even more the words from 1 Samuel: "for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."

So often we judge others on their appearances, but God judges the heart.  May we learn to do the same.



John Tamilio III is the Pastor of the United Church of Christ in Canton (Massachusetts). He can be reached at pastor@uccincanton.org.