Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentines; Marble machine; Poetry


For my Valentine




We went to the Tin Toy Arcade
for Dee's valentine this year.
She seemed pleasantly surprised.



Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

And:

It matters not how small the price
It's the thought that counts!

I've been going to the Tin Toy Arcade
for gift items for a long time.
Ben, who collects elephants,
could show you his elephant watering can.
(The water pours from its trunk.)

We have ordered zeppelins from the Arcade
(William has one)
and the bicycle-riding duck -
they repose here at the raccoon office.


.......

Not solar, but...


We have a swinging sun that goes back and forth
by a weight; it is
presently perched on the electric stove top.
When it goes left the eyes pivot left
and when it swings right the eyes go right.
The eyes make a clicking sound.


plahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSbkDGayzhw

That photo was taken with the lower crustacean cell cam
but it is acceptable.

Likewise the one of KD on the floor upside down
as she watches her spinning mouse toy while Dee plays with her
music machine...


.


.......

This toy would fascinate KD


This video is pretty silent at the beginning
but keep watching it.




.......

Breakfast


My father taught me how to eat breakfast
those mornings when it was my turn to help
him milk the cows. I loved rising up from

the darkness and coming quietly down
the stairs while the others were still sleeping.
I'd take a bowl from the cupboard, a spoon

from the drawer, and slip into the pantry
where he was already eating spoonfuls
of cornflakes covered with mashed strawberries

from our own strawberry fields forever.
Didn't talk much—except to mention how
good the strawberries tasted or the way

those clouds hung over the hay barn roof.
Simple—that's how we started up the day.


"Breakfast" by Joyce Sutphen from First Words. © Red Dragonfly Press, 20I0. 

.......


Thoughts


by William W. Redding


Drawing can be a safe retreat
for those who come to know it.

For it is the key that releases the seeds of your mind,
and allows them to grow in your spirit.

But some know not of this subtle art,
and tend to overlook it.

As it's one thing to draw what you think,
it's another to actually do it.

...........

William, my pew-mate at church
for his Mom is in the choir
is allegedly 13 or so
but is for sure an older soul....


and he just keeps growing