Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Slo juggling; Braunschweiger, merit thereof;The old telegrapher; Imperial Candlewick; Flying ribbons; In the gallery






^,^

Some call it liver sausage
or liverwurst
but we prefer the Germanic
Braunscheiger.

Another sandwich popular
at the Odd Fellows hall

as in this:




^,^




Let The Word Go Forth

A hut in the desert where winds blow sharp sand
Houses a stooped telegrapher grown old and blind
He listens for dying signals over his post’s wire, and
Boosts them afresh with his mind’s key inclined

To receive his firm dih-dah-dits, his eyesight not needed
The sand blows in around the boards, it blows in
And rests on everything including his lids unimpeded
His eyes don’t water anymore, they need no protection

And his feet and ankles are buried in sand and the lone windowsill
Is rounded with sand; he wears a bandana over his mouth and nose
And a mangled Stetson that will
One day be his headstone, all of him that shows

Still the sand will keep coming past that time too
And if that hut should be dug up years afterward
An archeology team would hear the news yet renewed
The telegrapher keying word after word

[David Dix ]



^,^

You will remember, perhaps,
that we had a poem about
the old unused thin glass  
 too good
for everyday

until one day I took it down from its high
shelf and started using its dainty prettiness
for everyday

Calls For The Singing Fairies


                                                        
 I have a secret glass
In the kitchen cabinet
 I re-found it after many years
in one of the high
Cabinets we rarely go in

  It’s been here since at least 1941
    It was my grandmother’s 
when she bought this house
And I think she may have had it
Long before that

It may date back to my great grandparents
  Who were farmers in Sheboygan County
The Furhrmans or maybe the Froehlichs
my maternal German bloodline

I say it’s secret because it must have
A magic spell cast upon it
The glass is so paper-thin
A juice glass in size
But it has over all these never-never decades
  never ever been broken

In spite of its fragility
It has etched lilies of the valley
Cut into it’s thinness
Making the glass even thinner
In those places

I like to think this glass
Sought shelter from breakage
By getting into that upper cupboard
Somehow of supernatural volition
So as to not be broken
As one of the daily-used often chipped
 Cups and bowls are

Frequent breakage of our common
Crockery
Is not unknown in this house

When I wash this fragile glass
 after carefully using and admiring
its still-whole thinness
Coming and going through me

Onto the table, then
Into the clean soapy dishwater
Before any soiled utensils 
Or anything else is plunged

I get true but ginger hands on it
Hold it fast as I rinse it
Long and roundly under warm water
And air-dry it on an embroidered
Dishtowel

I’m afraid to own it
But I want to use it
To feel it while
Trying to protect it
Maybe for a next generation

So I have it in the lower cabinet
Where it gets daily use
And I wash it every day
 I have regular fear
Mixed with the joy of having it

When I held this glass
As a small child
- was it this very one or another
in a set, now broken?-
My grandmother would sing to me:

White coral bells
Upon a slender stalk
Lilies of the valley
Line my garden walk

Oh don’t you wish
That you could hear them ring?
That will happen only
When the fairies sing!

My fragile glass
To casual viewers
Secret as it is
Should not be looked-for
But it’s there

Waiting? 
For?
A last chance for fairies to sing?


[David Dix 11-06]

Continuing:

so too with the curioed glassware reposing on a high shelf
Grandma Dix's Imperial Candlewick
- cups especially -

In the 1960s
She also left me her blue Shirley Temple pitcher
my favorite at breakfast when visiting Cedar Falls IA, 
- pitcher now gone -
and her DAR medals and bracelet
that I gave to another female Dix
who would appreciate them

but these fancy glass cups
 are now getting everyday use
to hold my oft-eaten chocolate pudding

What were we saving them for?


The lilies of the valley fragile glass
is broken
but it was great to really use until then.







^,^





Erin and Ben set up new computer for the Raccoon News and other uses.


ANNOUNCEMENT: It is with great pleasure
that we advise of the July 3rd wedding
of the formerly-beribboned daughter
spoken of above

with Ben,  her best friend
and associate at Lawrence University.
Appleton WI

A small affair at the Rochester WI
public library

(Ben is also our computer guru.
 It is his I.T. field at Lawrence,
so we are gaining not only a son-in-law, but...)

play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goYnjP-ghRk

^,^













https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1k24yFkKFM