Monday, July 20, 2009

Re: Welsh coal miner, Richard Burton's father

(Disregard the modern miner at right, see the coal seam)


See the video clip at the bottom of this exchange. (In the way of Email, the sequence is shown with the reply at the top.)

In the way of the sewer raccoons, this video clip caught my eye as it concerned underground enterprises. I sent it to my Wheeling WVA Symphony friend, because as a coal miner's daughter I thought she would appreciate it. Then I sent it to friend Stewart who lives on a reclaimed coal mine in eastern Ohio. Stew sent the below reply.




Said Stew, retired pipe fitter and metal artist: "My mother and I would watch the Cavett show but in 1980 I married my 3rd wife a profound mistake so I missed this. Mom would holiday in Wales at her Aunt and Uncles . Mom loves the [she is still going at 89] Welsh people . She told me that the miners in Wales would go into the pits for less than the 'dole' which was British welfare in the depression . Their wives would scrub them in tubs [no running water] when they came home and always leave a circle of coal dirt the size of a coin on there backs , a superstition that if u washed off all the coal the mine would be jealous and you would not let you come out next time. If I am not mistaken the deep mine that was here where I now live (PA) is part of the same seam. Top welders in the pipetrades have the same attitude as the Senior Burton , and he was right . There are certain difficult tasks that must me done for survival, preaching doctoring and lawyering are all extras that we could do without if we have to.
thanks my friend I enjoyed this very much "
stew
STEWART J. TOLBERT
miko46@verizon.net


.....................................
On Jul 19, 2009, at 4:58 PM, David Dix wrote:
I think you should see this, too, Stew. It is a clip that I found runs erratically, but when I did not enlarge the screen size it ran OK.

Richard Burton on Welsh father's coal mining. whence he himself originated and returned from time to time. I don't care much for the interviewer, Dick Cavett, but the Burton part is good. David






.........................................
----- Original Message -----
From: David Dix
To: L/L wheeling symph
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:02 PM
Check this out sometime. Richard Burton on Dick Cavett, speaking about Welsh coal mining. I hope it plays all the way thru. I had a little trouble with the clip, but the talk about coal mining is memorable, I think. Stay with it, it will work eventually.......David



No comments: