Saturday, January 10, 2015

Black-tufted catbird; McNally Joel; Step back; Recent Almanac



This creature was seen peering through
the window at the bird-feeding ledge
atop the Odd Fellows.

We don't believe the species
is known to Waukesha...

May be just a matter of perspective?

Another way of looking at things:















On these recent cold days, good reading to you.







^,^

Step back...


...no, further:


Yes, that's it:

Hello to the WHS class of 1954


Always remember this:



Jackson, note the requisite saddle shoes...




^,^


My old flame...*


( today's Writers Almanac leads to...*)

Static
by Barton Sutter



Well, Old Flame, the fire’s out.
I miss you most at the laundromat.
Folding sheets is awkward work
Without your help. My nip and tuck
Can’t quite replace your hands,
And I miss that odd square dance
We did. Still, I’m glad to do without
Those gaudy arguments that wore us out.
I’ve gone over them often
They’ve turned grey. You fade and soften
Like the hackles of my favorite winter shirt.
You’ve been a hard habit to break, Old Heart.
When I feel for you beside me in the dark,
The blankets crackle with bright blue sparks.

"Static" by Barton Sutter from The Book of Names. © BOA Editions, 1993.