Saturday, November 5, 2011

'Because their words had forked no lightning'

The camera bag containing the instrument used to capture the below-shown sunset. It hangs on the clothes tree welded in the 70s from scrap iron. Rusted, the sculpture, now hat tree/umbrella stand, aged outside in the yard for years. The bag is an insulated sandwich bag in the form of a fly-fisher's creel. Padded, it protects the camera.

A trout protrudes from the mock opening at the top. The bag is marked by a red arrow in the above image.


THE OTHER NIGHT
as I rode with Walt Lohman to the Odd Fellows meeting, he had to stop at Brookfield Square to pick something up. I waited in the car for him and could not help noticing the blazing sunset. We had been driving east, away from it.

Fortunately, I was traveling to the lodge hall intending to capture some images with my LVD gratuity (never to be forgotten) Nikon camera. So, I got it out of the creel bag and snapped this picture through the windshield.

The symbolism of the evening in general was not lost on me. A brilliant sunset, (taps), a new event on the horizon for me in my alleged sunset years (The Independent Order of Odd Fellows).............

I thought of Dylan Thomas's poem:



Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.


Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.