Sunday, December 30, 2007

LUCKY STONE






Found object
Some years ago, I found a beautiful stone, looking up at me through
a breaking Lake Michigan wave.
Had I been wading past at another time, any other time, I think, this stone would have escaped my notice. All the millions of rocks in that surf and on that beach looked tan, and plain, the color of this 3/4th of this stone meant for me (?), this one was crystalized on one side. A geologic find!
I stooped down, picked it up, and wondered at it's beauty, like the ape from the beginning of the film 2001 A Space Odyssey studied the bone, (a tool) lying at his feet. Being wet from the water, it glistened. Imagine, all the stones and rocks on this Northport WI beach were matching drab, but this one, this single one had beauty to show, if it faced up. And it did, just as I walked by in my bare feet, hewing a time-worn habit of gazing down to rock-pick, even on such an unlikely, plain beach as this.
I've had this stone with the golden triangle configuration ever since the fortunate find, circa 1966. I carry it in a beaded pouch, around my neck sometimes.
I believe it has some profound meaning. Perhaps some magical power? I'm going to start wearing it, maybe under my shirt, close to my heart, every day.

No comments: