Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dad's pre-computer file box




We all have a tray or container in which to place our loose change when we empty our pants pockets.
Here, we have wooden file box
owned by my father during his high school
and college days.
It is a fine box, mortis-joined.
It was probably crammed full
with just bits of the contents
of Dad's mighty brain,
now reposing as dust
at Arlington National Cemetery.
File cards were not subject to computer crash.
They went another route to oblivion.
As I've studied this box
over several years
I've pondered the jack-knife notches
in the left front cover.
What did they stand for?
^.^
My guess:
they marked some academic achievements.
This box was never parted with;
saved, and now by me.
My additions were the Yibawean Seal,
the tortoise (Dad's eyes were in later years
tortoise-like)
and the compass.
A little dime store but still true
gauge of direction.
Maybe I should not have
gilded that beautifully joined
memento.
It's only original inscriptions
were the notches
and the pencil-written words
on the inside cover:
Leslie Vernon Dix

No comments: