Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why must everyone take me so seriously?

OK, we've been to the fraternal orders where certain serious hats are worn.
But those serious days are over. Serious anachronisms have been put aside.
Yet when I don the woodpecker hat people right away assume I am being deadly serious.
NOT SO!

The correction is: I was once startled, not frightened, by a Pileated woodpecker in the WI northwoods. Out jogging on a wooded backroad, I heard a peculiar bird-call at my left in the trees, at the margin of the road. Jogging on, I looked to the side and saw what I thought to be a prehistoric bird, huge wingspan, flying even-stride with me and progressing from tree to tree staying abreast of me as I ran. This species, the Pileated, I later found out, is very rare and nearing extinction.
The large, bright red-crested bird flew alongside of me for about a quarter of a mile. I took it to be mystical omen, another meaningful event of the sort I had in those magical surroundings. (See http://raccoonnews.blogspot.com/2009/05/it-was-getting-dark-in-those-woods.html)
Of course, I found a felt woodpecker mask and began wearing it, but not, NOT in such a serious way as people seem to think.
Ex: I keep a precariously balanced stack of books at my bedside. Indeed, I do sometimes wear the woodpecker mask when I read abed, but believe me, though I consider myself woodpeckerian in my digging for nourishment from the bark of that tree of books, I ONLY WEAR THE GARMENT IN JEST.

At the public library, in semi-frustration, I've given up wearing the woodpecker hat. I'm tired of being taken so stone-cold serious by my fellow Waukeshans. Now, with usual smiles, I slip within in the racks of books, and at the check-out desk I only sometimes wish I had the mask on to keep other library users from tittering into their mittens about my odd given looks.




A Pileated Woodpecker
click to enlarge