Saturday, February 2, 2008

What to do with old radish-bunching rubber bands?



FROM PUGET SOUND ATTORNEY BOB:


Dear Editor,
I read in the news about your doing a FULL SLEEVE of radish bunching rubber bands. WOW! Isn't that in Africa where they stretch necks by adding successive brass or gold bands? Be careful! Body alteration is tricky and sometimes fatal.


Bob

.....................................

Reply:

Bob,

Thanks for your concern. I am aware of the potential problems of doing a sleeve of rubber bands from my revered radish-bunching left-over bands. Be sure my aim is not any form of elongation. I am only aiming at a rainbow affect of multi-colored, very flexible, side-by-side "encirclements." The bands here have long since lost their elasticity. My blood should flow OK. If for some reason my arm muscles become larger and I see my hand turning blue, I will remove the bands forthwith! And, should you be wondering, injecting ink under the surface of my skin is just too indelible for me. However, it becomes less-so with the gathering years.

(The neck elongation thing is Burmese, not African, but I thought that at first, too.)

Ed. SR News

.......................................

NECK STRETCHING:

These types of body alterations were usually done as status symbols, and many cultures have done other similar types of body alterations. Once these alterations are done, there is no turning back. The bones, organs, and muscles that have been altered cannot support themselves naturally, and depend on the support of the device, such as the lotus shoe, corset, or neck rings. Removing these support systems cannot reduce the damage done, and in some cases is dangerous, as with the Padaung women of Burma.

No comments: