Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies: Psalm 23, A Review

Not everyone here is friendly to the editor's limburger habits.

.......................................................

BEWARE!


I have received from a friend

a very manly brick of Limburger cheese.

I say manly because women usually

don't eat cheese that buzzes

and is as old-aged as mine.

This cube of cheese has an odor

perhaps best described as that which issues

from long-unwashed underwear hems.

To eat it is to be arrested, overcome.

You cannot eat this cheese

and do anything else as a secondary activity;

your full attention is riveted to the consuming act

as though you're on a wing-walking excursion,

or shaving with an extremely sharp razor.

I gaze at this cheese

contemplating burying it in the yard

or eating more.

The cat tries to bury it

on the hard tabletop, but

I decide to eat more.

There is an edible-if-you-dare rind

around this cheese that sweats

when it is exposed to air.

I keep my Limburger in a tight jar once opened,

and I appreciate that this cheese

continues its critical mass build-up

even when refrigerated and stored thusly;

eating limburger reminds me

of other nasty things I 've done.

Afterwards, no amount of hand-washing

will remove me from the consequence of my deed,

but I can assume a thoughtful pose

with my fingers near my nose

and re-live it all.

S/ in blissful reverie.