Saturday, August 8, 2009

To The Babes

A communicant writes this:
"I brought this home from the flea market today. At American Science and Surplus. You can see why an Orgamonica music book would fit right in there amid the racks of test tubes and chemiluminescence kits (???). It was seriously the strangest store I've ever been in. But I had to have this book. Have you ever heard of a Silvertone Orgamonica?
Well, apparently, it's an "exciting, easy to play wind instrument. It has a piano-like keyboard with two full octaves in chromatic sequence, which permits the playing of musical compositions in any key."
Even better, It can be played anywhere! And, it's.....(and here I quote):
Perfect for parties and gatherings
Blends beautifully with other instruments
Play it outdoors, (Ed. note: On stage) at home, in school.
Have your friends try to play-along with you! Ideal for adult recreational programs.
Don't you wish you had one?"

.........................

Well, I did have one of these magnificent instruments, as did a collegemate of mine, David Farragut James of Fox Point WI and now of Tucson AZ. I don't think the instrument ever took off broadly, but we played the heck out of ours. Eventually I had to apply duct tape to mine to keep it together.

But David James was a true instrumentalist with his. A virtuoso! He was good. It was the late 60's, when we were in our early 30's. David played in a band, The Riverboat Rascals, with his brothers Doug and Fred and friends. He would take Orgamonica solos sometimes during their gigs, though his main instruments were piano and banjo. Everyone (many) freaked out.

I think he, aka 'The Babes', still has his Orgamonica, but I long ago lost mine. Like Meade Lux Lewis and his barrelhouse upright, I eventually played it to a break-down death.

Re David James, see http://raccoonnews.blogspot.com/2008/01/grace-v-james-and-northern-wisconsin.html