Thursday, August 6, 2009

The way you used to do

Thursday morning 8-6-09
An Email arrived during the night from somebody trying to pump enthusiasm into the surviving members of the high school class of 1954, handful that they are. This brand of nostalgia never appealed to me. Their original number will be hugely and sadly diminished. It seems to one who has never gone to a reunion that it would be saddening to view each other now, still ambulatory as we wend our decay-dent and certain way to our private graves, boiled down, reduced, as it were, within a high school chemistry beaker to a resistant but continuing rugged rough. Yet I celebrate them.
Old songs are proposed be sung from the 50's hit parade. I propose a dance never dreamed of at the Cardinal Attic hangout: OFF THIS MORTAL COIL SHUFFLE.
May fun be had in any case, and best wishes to all. Hell, I was going to live forever. Now it's 'live, love, be merry, for tomorrow we may die' time. For real. But I'm not goin'.
...............^.^..................
A bat I thought was you
Fluttered around my head
Last night after the lights
were turned off

I opened the door
To let you find your way out
But you stayed
Would not go
Winging around my sought repose

Nibbling my ear lobes
The way you used to do
I went out myself
And you followed me

Joining another bat
Zig-zagging in the darkness
Both of you exchanged squeaks
And left

I lay awake a long time
Wondering if you’d be back
The only way to keep you
Is to set you free