Saturday, April 19, 2008

today's instalment

Ford 150

STEWART, kindred fillet of sole,

or something................ :

Though we have not met formally, I thought from what I've seen via photos and your couple of Emails you would appreciate the 150 I drove when I was doing my welding. It was a noble pick-up. But, like some other things in my life, it "went away from me" in a sorrowful way.

I had it parked at the top of a residential hill, and while I was showing a house it slipped out of park and began rolling down the hill. We were just emerging from the house and saw it happen. We ran after it but it was too late. At the bottom of the hill there was a curve, and my fear was that my autonomous truck would jump the curb and crash into somebody's home of which there were many, side-by-side. Fortunately, there was a telephone pole when it did jump the curb, and it crashed into that, instead.

The poor machine was V-ed at the front bumper around the pole that stopped it cold. The bell housing was shot, and the mechanic deemed the truck unsalvagable. I did not have the means to have it so (unreasonably?) expensively fixed, so I had to leave that butterfly I'd landed on.

But that truck was a real friend. I could fit my mo-ped in it and all my camping gear, my welding tanks, many other things thrown over that tail-gate. I eventually made some oak rails to fit down into the side grooves, slats that were removeable, but never were. I'd varnished them with several coats of gloss poly. The truck glistened, but I never worshipped it, only used it until it crashed.

I read a book recently by a Wis. author Michael Perry, TRUCK: A LOVE STORY. Though my knowledge of you is limited, I recommend this book to you. http://www.sneezingcow.com/truck.htm
I mentioned it briefly to our mutual friend - my Ohio & Wheeling WVA friend only by cursory Email, like you - Laurie L, and she said her husband had the book on his bookshelf. It is so on-target for me that I bought a copy of it for my son who found it a bull's-eye too.

All for today.

David Zep Dix
RA 16609646
^.^
Editor, SEWER RACCOON NEWS

No comments: