Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hunched; clenched; bunched

This golden morning: 10-18-08 Saturday

I went to the Waukesha farmers market again. This AM it was 38 degrees and sunny. Walking over the foot-bridge from the parking lot across the Fox, I again saw the jumble of spider webs on the ironwork. Today there was only one spider. Last week there were many. The single one today was hunched in the very center of his web. As if to preserve any warmth his threatened body had, it waited in a ball for the sun to warm things a little.

I bought some more tomatos, some more spinach, an exotic-looking succulent house plant that had a vernacular name I've forgotten, some corn on the cob, and another bag of "Spy" apples which have proven very good......

and three red peppers, nice and fat and robust. One looks just like a clenched fist.

When I got home there was a (but-for-one) unseen wildly-singing flock of robins in the back tree, getting psyched, I presumed, for their migration. Usually seen in the yard singly, this was a cacophonous roosting cluster. They were bunched.










No comments: