Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A page from a fine catalog, torn therefrom

To: Geographic Expeditions
1008 General Kennedy Ave
Thoreau Center for Sustainability
San Franciso, CA 94129-0902

Oct. 14, 2008

Dear Expeditioners,

I think it was in 2000 when I wrote to your company about a walking tour I was interested in taking in Bhutan. I may have heard about you through The Smithsonian magazine, but in any case, I did receive a gorgeous and expensive magazine-size catalog from you then, and in subsequent years, and again in the mail today.

I didn't wind up going on that intended trip in 2000 and I have since sustained other vagaries that preclude such journeys, most likely, in my lifetime. You got nothing from that substantial invesment in me via your glossy and excellent solicitation in 2000. Yet I continue to receive these annual trip catalogs, thanks to you; high-quality books which are not just stapled, but bound, thick-paged tomes with many superb color photographs of exotic places around the world I should dearly - yea - dearly love to see. To walk. To breathe.

I am deeply appreciative of these publications, tantalizing as they are. They're almost as welcome as luscious fruit-laden boxes from Harry & David's. Your freight in shipping them must be substantial. I realize that with the cost of your tour fares, your advertising budget must be high, but I count myself lucky to still be on your mailing list. Though I come from a sewer raccoon district with a common zip-code and likewise hailed from here when I made my initial query, I find your willingness to nonetheless keep sending these regular mailings next to a storm grate most equalitarian.

What can I do to set the account square?

I shall recommend you to my cousin Steve, an ex-bush pilot who made it big and is a round-the-world traveler. He and his wife were in Paris and Machu Picchu recently. When they see your marvelous vellum you may land some new and really going customers.

I will appreciate your continued annual mailings, however, hopefully until death do us part, in exchange for my very small publicizing effort. Thank you very much!

Yours truly,

David Dix Sr.

cc: Editor, Waukesha Sewer Raccoon News (for publicatiion)

No comments: