Sunday, December 4, 2011

Night scene

ON A RECENT
RAINY AND SNOWY NIGHT -
FROM OUR ODD FELLOWS WINDOW
HERE AT 308 SOUTH STREET:

A nocturnal photo shows the new bead shop
hoping as all downtown merchants are hoping
hoping and hoping
for Xmas business
to materialize, and we noted that the beaders
have their front door open
to signal easy availability for customers.
"Please come in. We shan't worry
about lost heat."

Next door to the left is the RECALL WALKER office.
This is where a steady stream of 'customers'
IS materializing, for real, and far into the night
workers earnestly shuffle papers
after the bead shops and stores are closed.
It's midnight-oil time for them
in historic downtown Waukesha.


Tomorrow, 12-5-11, I work my first shift
as a volunteer at the RECALL office.
I hope to see many of my friends
on my stints,
and lots of strangers
to help reach the signature goal,
AND THEN SOME.