Thursday, July 3, 2008

Straight razor = manly man

Sewer Raccoon reader writes
(and we quote):

[Dear Editor of SR News:]

"have I told u my contribution to recycling ? Well it goes like this. A few years ago I read that Gillette had spent 600 million dollars on development of the track 3 razor, this stuck with me as gillete and schick fight over less than 3 % of the swing shavers. When they came out with the battery powered disposable razor, I went to a straight razor ,my c-mon Cadillac should last a life time. It is such a male experience that I wish I had always done it like this. I have an advantage as I know how to sharpen a blade, I have even sharpened drill bits, my chain-saw . It also is a lesson each time I shave, as a small mistake or getting in a hurry will result in blood.
Thanks for sharing.
peace
stew"

Dear Stew (and other readers),

Thanks for your input on the straight razor, somewhat of a lost art. I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of shaving men (and women, I guess) still use those daring but now very green instruments?

I used to watch my grandfather shaving with his straight razor back in the 1940's -carefully and methodically, daily at 2009 Clay Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa. He would let me watch - I was about 5 to 8 years old - but only if I kept PERFECTLY STILL.

It's like yesterday. I can see the bathroom layout and the horsehide leather razor strop hanging to the right of the sink on its hook. Grandpa lathering up in his deep shaving mug, and next, stropping his ponderous blade back and forth, back and forth on the leather until maximum sharpness was achieved, then lather his face, surveying it carefully in the mirror as he commencing putting steel to face and neck at just the right angle. (Important!) He, wiping off the soap and whiskers from the blade on pieces of tissue, often.

He tears off little band-aid patches from the toilet paper next to the throne where I sit quietly, and places them over the occasional nicks that evoke blood and unhearable-by-me oathes...............................

I think your going back to a straight razor is wonderful and it gives me something to think about myself. This business of having merely to put an electric razor to your face and go over and over until your whiskers are eventually caught and whisked off is crazy.

In an age of jeopardized everything, surely I should be, in the interest of energy consevation, willing to bleed for my country. Others do, in belief of their own motives.

It makes sense, Stew, as you are a welder and art metal worker, and sharpener of drill bits & chain saws, that you would be a purist, right down the line. On this patriotic holiday - almost - YOU have heeded the "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You" admonition admirably.

I can hear my grandpa's straight razor scratching across his face, right now.

Happy 4th

Ed.





No comments: