Monday, November 2, 2009

I beg thee, pay heed

Russell Moccasins
Russell Moccasin Shoe Co.
Berlin, Wisconsin

This morning, a beautiful day in Waukesha, I sat in the sunny south window and added some protection to a pair of my 'Russell Mocs'. Prized possessions, my Russell shoes (have several) have received such focused polishing for many years. They have lasted and lasted, hand-hewn from quality leathers and derived via pleasant drives to the showroom, of sorts, in Berlin. Berlin is near Ripon, FYI. The little screen-doored shop, humble, unpretentious and rare, is off the main street. The town is pronounced BER'-lin.

There have been other articles in the SRN about this place and how we came to know of it. The Russell Company is not bally-hooed. You have to hear about it, and that is why we've instructed our readers more than once. We feel it an onus duty to render.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

ask for their free catalog via their E address in the above link



Shoe polish has a distinctive odor. Dee asked from another room if I smelled something like gasoline.
"Negative. Just polishing my shoes."


I like to polish shoes, especially Russells. I can still hear the Army drill sergeant at Fort Leonard Wood MO gently advising,
"Your Boots WILL be highly polished!"
(Long O, as in Poland)
So I even polish certain Russell Mocs made of leather that doesn't ask for polish, just occasional dressing. Some I wear to church with fancy but sedate socks, as yesterday. I like walking in woods or on old floorboards with my old but polished Russell Mocs.

Beneath the burgundy carpet at the First Congregational UCC, I know the original 1800's supporting wooden planks exist, and I think about that briefly as I walk through the sanctuary as I did yesterday, in line, sure-footedly, to the communion table, also old wood.

I believe the powers that be (capitols P, T and B) don't care if I am wearing Russell Moccasins when I present myself for the bread and wine. But I want to wear my best.

So, now I shall repair to the bullhide-soled Russell single-vamped shoes drying in the window, which should be ready about now for the horse hair brush. (Then a 2nd coat of polish and a water misting and buffing with a soft cloth. - optional.)

For your review, I again submit this clip:
http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/video/?bcpid=13960334001&bclid=1842745343&bctid=16529762001


This recent clip, by the way, was a real scoop of a feature for the Journal Sentinel. They knew they had a rarity in their hands.
Note: the Raccoon News receives no remuneration for such postings. This a strict non-profit, kind and gratuitous.