Saturday, November 14, 2009

John Helt and I wear the orange dove arm-bands, 1981

On the steps of the US Federal Building, 517 E. Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, we gathered to demonstrate against US support of the El Salvador junta and to observe the one year anniversary of the assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero.
This was a signal occasion for the SRN editor, for it was my first of many subsequent peace participations over the ensuing years.

Ironic, in that the feds were photographing the participants from a distance, a duty that I myself performed as a CIC (federal) agent and photographer when I was a plain-clothesman in Chicago, in the US Army, 1958 to 1962. Doubly ironic that the site of my first demonstration was the Milw. Federal Bldg where I first went to begin the long application process of admittance into the Counter Intelligence Corps in '58. Times change and with them their demands.

These pieces of memorabilia turned up in my ongoing basement sorting-out today. The band and clipping were entered in a scrapbook that my late mother maintained of my 'achievements' and general press, whether she agreed with it or not.


click on image to enlarge and read John and I are on either side of the baby stroller, I on the left at center in the standard hat.