Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Love ya, Baby!

We say in our masthead that we have "occasional forays elsewhere."

This is one of those times. It's hard to keep on the subject of raccoons alone, But here's something not even a self-respecting raccoon would have said.

In the US News and World Report this morning:

^.^


US News
POLITICAL BULLETIN
All the Day's Political News From Newspapers, TV, Radio, and Magazines



MEMORANDUM FOR DAVID DIX SR.
SUBJECT: TODAY'S POLITICAL NEWS
DATE: TUESDAY, JUNE 24, 2008 - 8:00 AM


Campaign News
McCain Adviser: Terror Attack Would Benefit Candidate A top advisor for Sen. John McCain is causing him some media grief. The Washington Post reports this morning that Charlie Black, in an interview with Fortune, said "a fresh terrorist attack 'certainly would be a big advantage to him.'" Black also "said that the December assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto, while 'unfortunate,' helped McCain win the Republican primary by focusing attention on national security." Black said, "His knowledge and ability to talk about it reemphasized that this is the guy who's ready to be Commander-in-Chief. And it helped us." The comment was noted on all three network news programs, with ABC World News saying, "And Charles Black, a senior adviser to John McCain, is quoted today as saying a terrorist attack on US soil would 'be a big advantage to his candidate.' McCain said he could not imagine why Black would say this, and he strenuously disagreed." The CBS Evening News also carried the quote, but showed McCain saying, "If he said that, and I do not know the context, I strenuously disagree." NBC Nightly News added that Black "said, tonight, that he regretted making the comments and that they were inappropriate." The Washington Times adds that Sen. Barack Obama's campaign "called the comment a 'big disgrace,' and Sen. John Kerry, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, said that by even thinking of an attack in political terms, Mr. Black was practicing 'the worst of the Rove-Bush fear playbook.'"


1 comment:

KXW-915 said...

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy my tangentially library-related musings (my blog is a work assignment).

I have to come clean and admit that my entire profile's pretty much a dumb in-joke with my cousin and my sister, although I did grow up in WI and I do actually like the Dead Milkmen.

My dad's a slightly obsessive old truck collector, hence the reference to Michael Perry. While my library system holds several copies of the book, I've never checked it out.

Now for something pertinent to your post. Isn't it just so hard to be shocked or appalled by anything done or said in the political realm anymore? The last seven years have really ground down my defenses.

Also, most of Washington state is not nearly as lefty as other parts of the country might be led to believe, especially here in an area with strong military ties. You'd be surprised.