Sunday, January 20, 2008

all on time borrowed



Inscribed on edge: borrowed
LEISTER'S STORE
Several years ago I bought a dollar watch from Leister's Store in Pleasant Valley, Maryland. They used to be called "dollar watches" in the old days. When I bought this one from Miss Jane (Leister) I was surprised to find a place that still sold them, and still a bargain at $9.95!

I knew it would be a souvenir for me, so I painted an inscription on the back: "Souvenir of Leister's Store, Pleasant Valley MD." Then to make sure it didn't scratch off in my pocket rubbing against coins or whatever, ( I still carry it; it still runs) I painted several coats of colorless nail polish over it.

Leister's Store is no longer an operating general store. It's days were numbered as all things are. It was grandfathered that the store could remain so close to the road, when the small town thoroughfare was widened little by little. When Mr. Paul died several years ago, his wife Miss Jane kept the store running, selling the same mix of miscellany, including penny candy for the children and milk and eggs and the like as a convenience for the small town residents of (sneeze and you're past it!) Pleasant Valley. I have some rolls of old-fashioned fly paper from Leister's.

The kindly nature of the Leisters brought people like that fly paper from many parts. Their clientele remained solid until Miss Jane's time ran down and she too passed. She had a little dog that was her great and beloved companion.

Now some thoughtful parties in Pleasant Valley have in mind to make the old store a community memories museum. Funds and donations are being sought, I noticed during our Christmas 2007 visit.
I want to offer my pocket dollar watch if there is an interest for it. I guess you could still find these watches, but in very few places, I think. The maker, Westclox, is still in business. But, the Leisters' sold them, and that made all the difference.

The interest, if any, might come from the fact that the buyer recognized then (2o years ago?)that it would be a collector's item. Bless the beloved Leisters, and may they rest in peace up on the hill.
a delightful link on Pleasant Valley:


No comments: