Wednesday, January 23, 2008

compass key-chain, revisited



How long have I had this thing, anyway?
In the pursuit of accuracy, since I devoted an entry to the device, I must disclose that I had only part of the story right.


Fiddling with it the other night, attached by way of a fine swivel clasp to my Eddie Bauer goose-down vest zipper-pull, as I myopically tryed to read the temperature guage, I discovered yet another tool within the black plastic.

Yes, folks, folded within the precise design of this shock-resistant item is a beautifully engineered magnifier. So well-fitted that it didn't get my attention after many casual manipulations over the years!

Now, with this, I can not only (1) know the direction of my setting, and (2) whistle away invading grizzlies, and (3) summon sewer raccoons, and (4) know what the temperature is:

I am also able, due to my discovery of the hidden lense, (5) remove splinters or start eventually raging campfires, merely with the assistance of the sun.

This puts me in mind of a 30-ish boy scout friend who boasts of being able to survive in the wilderness with only a piece of flint, an ax, and a piece of plastic for shelter. He would not, I think, cherish this LL Bean-style doo-dad. Yet, purism takes many forms over time.................

No comments: