Friday, January 18, 2008


…………………………………………………

Part Indian

Many don't know I am part Indian
Sometimes I'm a whole Indian

When I was little
I used to dress up like one

and I go back as far
as to protest US involvement
in North America


Sometime between those days
and now though
I became, perforce, it seemed like,
a member of the United Church of
Christ

The UCC brought order to my life
if I couldn't be a full-blooded Indian
I could at least be a full member
of a great merger

We have some Indians
and some gays, blacks,
Chinamen, etcetera
and I am part of all of them
and I like it

My really true chief
- certainly not impeachable King George -
was Seattle
he said "all things are connected"

Somehow my church, the UCC
in a way
fits into an even earlier mode
than my part-blood brothers
The Indians

The UCC puts it all together
for me
but I'm still an Indian
in part

[v. Zeppelin 7-24-07]


…………………………………………………………


No comments: