Sunday, January 27, 2008

It costs us...........




WHEN I WAS A BOY, my dad fought with the 90th. He landed at D Day. That war had profound effects around the world, and here in Waukesha Wisconsin. In my personal life. So ancient a history for me that I cannot talk about it, even if I did remember all of it.
But I do have this treasure from Dad: When his outfit liberated towns in their drive to release Hitler's hold in France AND Germany, a grateful potter cast some steins commemorating their campaigns for the officers of Dad's regiment. He later disseminated one to each of his four children.
I took mine down to dust it recently, and remembered how one of my wives, the first, allowed the stein to be displayed in the house but only after she made a shift to cover the nude body.
Having this transcendent object puts me in mind of the chasmic differences that exist between my half-siblings and me. Les and I have differed on whether or not dad would have supported George Bush's war. I remind him, not that he needs reminding, that dad was a Democrat and an aide to LBJ in the White House, and his dispositions were of a certain kind, resulting. Dispositions some of which I read into the question, rightly or wrongly.
It is a moot question. Dad's remains are interred at Arlington. And I still despise cannonry, bombings and warfare. But thank God that Churchill's call was heard in the 40's, and the US undertook a righteous armament. I'll drink to that, from this stein! It costs us.



No comments: