Sunday, January 13, 2008

did somebody say RADISHES?
















(From Oregon Atty. Bob, now of Puget Sound WA)


Hi, SR editor,

Thanks for mentioning me on your widely-read blog and for the US postal radish-bunching
communication. I want to respond immediately but cannot figure out how to post a comment on what I acquiesce to call, at your request, your Random Diary. Thus I again send you a letter. As I am about your age I still like letters.

I am from Seattle but practice law in Sequim, hence the mention in my (hand-written) previous corresp. to the ferry ride I must take to get to my office. It is then that I read the daily entries in your Sewer Raccoon "diary." (And I love every minute of it!)

Mr. Dix, I want to say that I have observed, especially here in Sequim (pronounced skwim)
that our raccoons here in the Pacific NW have a real penchant for radishes. I have fed them outside my office door from the packet of radishes I carry with me to work every day.

As a fellow buncher and one who still wears the rubber bands on your wrist, even at this late date, like me, I would love to exchange one of your rubber bands for one of mine sometime. I've heard that members of our fraternity in other parts of the world exchange rubber bands a lot. The decorous bands in various colors and thicknesses give a mute but impressive expression to casual observors.
These rubber bands are silent, and do not say things like "What Would Jesus Do?" or "God Is Still Speaking," or "I Beat Cancer," or "My Son Is An Honor Student,"(&/or etc.) People know right away that the wearer of a wordless rubber band is a radish- buncher, plain and simple.

If interested in exchanging bands, please advise.

OR Bob, atty.

OK:

Dear OR Bob,

Thanks for the information on the NW raccoons' love of radishes. I hadn't heard that, but am now going to offer some from my crisper to the raccoons living here (in WI) to see if they like them. I know they would like the crunch of a nice radish - with or without salt - and the low-calorie vegetable would provide an alternative to the Raccoon Crackers currently given out at the door. Some of these tap-tappers are rather fat, frankly. Too much door-to-door eating.

And I would be delighted to swap a wrist rubber band with you, fellow buncher. Lately I've been feeling somewhat like a leper wearing un-annotated rubber bands amidst the crush of the message-bearing populace.

But as you certainly know, once you wear a wrist rubber band it's hard to stop.

Best radishes!

David Dix, Ed.

ps, from the WWW:

Radishes are rich in ascorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium. They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium. One cup of sliced red radish bulbs provides approximately 20 Calories or less, coming largely from carbohydrates, making radishes, relative to their size, a very filling food for their caloric value.









No comments: